Monday, April 7, 2008

Thoughts on my son's birth

When I had Kaya, the epidural was so strong that I couldn't feel anything from the waist down, not even the pressure to push. That was the best possible of scenarios in my opinion. A lot of critics would say, that is unnatural, and that the only way to experience birth is with out any pain assistance. I'm not that kind of woman! I had thoughts this time that maybe I would attempt a natural birth, but after my water broke spontaneously again, and pitocin was given around 10:00, I waited all of 3 hours before getting my epidural this time...please note, this is a record for me, because with Kaya I waited all of 30 minutes until I requested an epidural.

Well, epidurals must have changed in the last 6 years since I had a kid, because I was ready to experience the same total lack of feeling as I had with Kaya. No such luck. Initially it did take away the pain, but as my contractions grew stronger, so did the discomfort. I kept mentioning this fact to my kind nurses, and they did increase it to the highest level it could go. Near the end it was pain, and I was thankful when the pain turned to pressure to push, but I think I stated about 10 times that day, and I still stand by it, had I felt that pain with Kaya, I may not have had Jimi. I guess I am just a wimp, I didn't even have to push for long, maybe 10-15 minutes, but every time I tell my story, I think I add 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You are not a wimp! Contractions hurt really bad and an epidural is supposed to provide relief. Sorry your's didn't work to well. :(