Thursday, November 6, 2008

A New Day?

In my last post I predicted McCain would win. I guess it was wishful thinking when all the polls were pointing towards Obama. I wanted McCain to win not because I am a republican, as I consider myself an independent, not because I am a racist, nothing could be further from the truth, but because I genuinely like the man. I am sure I am a minority in saying that when his own party barely tolerates him because of is bipartisan ways. Am I wrong to think that this country would be a lot better if we stopped playing tug of war with our ideals and agendas and found a way to mesh them together? I guess I just look at things through rose colored glasses, but I have always been taught to compromise, not fight for your own way. That is a change I want to happen.

I said I couldn't picture Obama as president. How could I picture it when this country has never taken any step towards electing anyone other then white old men? I was wrong.
On election night, I went to bed early, knowing we would not win. I was asleep for all the speeches, and admit I have only seen clips of Obama and McCain speaking on election night, but I can tell you I am very proud of this country for bucking the system and voting the first African American into the White House. I too was teary eyed watching Jesse Jackson tear up and many many others break down that night. The significance is not lost on me, I promise you.

I am sad that my candidate didn't win. I do not share the same vision that Obama has for this country. But you have got to be very small minded, or blind, or both to not see that with his election comes renewed relationships with our allies who were starting to turn their backs on us. Our country has renewed hope in democracy; that if you fight for change, you will actually achieve it. This election was the personification of what Martin Luther King spoke about. And, I think we actually just jumped up a few links on the evolutionary chain.

That's my 2 cents on this election. Now I have to go pray that he doesn't turn us into a Marxist society...hehehe...just joking...kind of. :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That was a great post....very well put. Bring on the free drinks!! ;-)